Monthly Archives: August 2018

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Business as usual for Panorama Clinic: minister

* Jody says Panorama Clinic saved her life
Nanjing Night Net

*OPINION: Make sure they keep their word

*Fears for future of Panorama Clinic

SUPPORTERS and clients of Bathurst’s Panorama Clinic have been given their strongest assurance yet that there are no changes planned for the unit’s operation.

Mental Health Minister Kevin Humphries has issued an emphatic statement to the Western Advocate rejecting recent speculation that health management was planning to make the Bathurst Base Hospital clinic a weekdays-only facility.

The single-line statement from the minister simply read: “The Panorama Clinic is not closing and will remain open seven days a week.”

However, following a meeting between the bureaucracy and staff last week, local psychiatrist Andrew Frukacz said staff at the Bathurst Base Hospital inpatient clinic have been given six weeks to get their occupancy levels up and then the matter will be reviewed again.

Dr Frukacz said there has been a tremendous public response, with a large number of people calling his rooms at Anima Clinica in Russell Street since the community learned the clinic was in danger of closing on weekends or being shut down altogether.

He said this support has been very helpful in preparing a case that Panorama must remain open.

The psychiatrist added that there may be a perception that Panorama Clinic is an inpatient facility for Bathurst people only.

In reality, the clinic can take patients from the whole region. It also has an excellent day program.

“We need to see it as a treatment centre for the whole of the Central West,” Dr Frukacz said.

“The bureaucrats are concerned about the low occupancy rate, so widespread community support is vital.”

He said patients without private health insurance should definitely consider Panorama Clinic as an option.

“If the bureaucrats are concerned that it isn’t getting enough use, then we should use it,” he said.

“We have six weeks to show this unit is viable. It’s definitely a case of use it, or lose it.”

Dr Frukacz said he really hopes the whole community will get behind the Panorama Clinic in the same way they embraced and defended Daffodil Cottage.

When Daffodil Cottage was threatened, close to 800 people turned out to send a clear message to the health bureaucrats who wished to close the service. “Hands off Daffodil Cottage,” they shouted.

As a result, then Premier Nathan Rees made a special trip to Bathurst, promising the community that the cottage would not be touched on his watch.

Now Minister Humphries has also made his feelings clear in relation to Panorama Clinic.

Dr Frukacz has decided to create a Mental Health Action Group so patients and their carers can have a voice.

Those who care about mental health issues can become involved by contacting Nadia Zanco at Anima Clinica by writing to [email protected] 南京夜网.au or by following Anima Clinica’s Facebook page.

PANORAMA CLINIC: Local psychiatrist Andrew Frukacz said he really hopes the whole community will get behind the Panorama Clinic in the same way they embraced and defended Daffodil Cottage.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

People of Central West deserve better: Veitch

THE Central West’s horror month of job cuts has been raised as an issue in State Parliament.
Nanjing Night Net

The planned closure of Bathurst’s Downer EDI plant and the Orange Electrolux plant, along with a dramatic downsizing of operations at Simplot’s Bathurst facility, will see almost 800 jobs lost from the Central West in coming years.

NSW Labor MLC Mick Veitch addressed the job losses in the Senate last Thursday, accusing the new Federal Government of failing local workers.

“Like Simplot, Electrolux met with the former Federal Government seeking co-investment that would support a decision by Electrolux Sweden to provide the new product range to Orange,” Mr Veitch said.

“The new Federal Minister for Industry met with Electrolux management in recent weeks. As was the case with his visit to Simplot, he failed to give any commitments to the people of the Central West.

“There is very little time left for the people of the Central West who are employed by Electrolux. They are fighting, along with their unions, for themselves, their children and their community.

“The people of the Central West need a government that is prepared to stand up for local manufacturing jobs.”

Mr Veitch said the State Government also had to take some responsibility for the plant closures and downsizing.

“Downer EDI, Simplot and Electrolux are world leaders in their respective industry sectors,” he said.

“They are world-class innovators and major employers of skilled labour in regional NSW.

“Our rolling stock and food industries have been abandoned by the State Government that has no industry policy and no commitment to local manufacturing.

“It seems that they will also be abandoned by the new Federal Government. NSW manufacturers and the people of the Central West deserve much better.

“They need government at all levels to support local manufacturers through genuine co-investment that would allow them to compete on a level playing field with the rest of the world, where governments recognise the critical role of manufacturing and do not hesitate to provide support.”

JOBS CUT: The planned closure of Bathurst’s Downer EDI plant and the Orange Electrolux plant, along with a dramatic downsizing of operations at Simplot’s Bathurst facility, will see almost 800 jobs lost from the Central West in coming years.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

No new jobs for Simplot workers

* People of Central West deserve better: Veitch
Nanjing Night Net

* 110 jobs lost from Simplot

Workers at Bathurst’s struggling Simplot plant are not confident they will get another job if they are one of 110 workers who lose out as a result of major cutbacks at the plant.

Union delegates for the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU) and the Electrical Trades Union (ETU) visited the plant yesterday to begin initial discussions with management.

Most Simplot workers fall under the AMWU.

ETU Central West organiser Dave McKinley said those attending the meeting discussed the timeline of redundancies, the make-up of the workforce and the future of the plant following the redundancies.

“Staff are heavily disappointed,” Mr McKinley said.

“They are desperate about the amount of closures with EDI and Electrolux.

“There will be 1000 redundancies in the next year or two.

“Simplot staff are not at all confident they will get another job.”

Simplot’s American headquarters announced last week that there would be a major downsizing of operations at the Bathurst plant in response to ongoing difficult trading conditions.

About 110 full-time positions will be lost as the plant reverts to producing only canned and frozen corn and the iconic Chiko roll.

Only about 60 jobs will be saved at the Bathurst factory once the downsizing is completed.

Mr McKinley said there will be further discussions between unions, workers and management over the following weeks.

TROUBLE: Staff are not confident of finding work in the Central West once work grinds to a halt at Simplot.

All staff will meet with union representatives today.

The national secretary of the AMWU will also visit the plant.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Hoax call drama at Simplot plant

A HOAX bomb threat brought Simplot’s fish processing plant at Kelso to a halt yesterday morning while police searched the area.
Nanjing Night Net

Chifley local area command duty officer Inspector Andrew Spliet said police were informed the plant had received a bomb threat at around 11.30am yesterday.

He said staff were removed to appropriate locations out of harm’s way.

Inspector Spliet said general duties police and the rescue unit swiftly arrived and began a systematic search of the plant with the assistance of staff.

An ambulance waited outside the factory and the fire brigade was on standby in case its assistance was required.

Inspector Spliet said nothing was located, and staff were allowed to go back to work at 12.40pm. The investigation is continuing.

Inspector Spliet said anybody with information regarding the hoax bomb threat should contact police.

Bathurst Police can be contacted on 6332 8699 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

A spokeswoman for Simplot Australia confirmed that a bomb threat had been received.

She said staff were removed while a search was carried out. They returned to their work just over an hour later when the threat was revealed to be a hoax.

PRECAUTIONS: Workers at Simplot’s fish processing plant at Kelso were moved outside while police conducted a search of the facility following yesterday’s bomb threat. Photo: CHRIS SEABROOK 102813csimplt1a

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Christopher finds the key to success

A HUGE crowd gathered at Bathurst City Centre on Saturday, all revved up and hoping that they would be driving away in a brand new car.
Nanjing Night Net

The centre’s Five to Drive promotion, run in conjunction with the Bathurst Automotive Group, had attracted more than 40,000 entries since it kicked off in July this year.

“It was all very exciting,” centre manager Janelle Matus said. “The response has been amazing. This promotion has certainly captured the interest of many shoppers. We had entries come from Dubbo through to the Blue Mountains.”

Bathurst City Centre customers entered the draw by spending $20 in any store in the centre over the last few months.

And it all came down to the luck of the draw on Saturday afternoon.

Five names were drawn out of the barrel by mayor Gary Rush and each person received a key to the car.

But it was 18-year-old Christopher Martin’s key that unlocked the door of the Honda Jazz.

The Bathurst man was gobsmacked by his win.

“Chris finished his HSC last year at Kelso High and is enjoying a gap year before heading to university next year,” Ms Matus said. “He was thrilled, all smiles.”

And the $19,000 ride will come in very handy for the teenager.

“He knows it will be a great kick-start for him going into uni,” Ms Matus said.

Ms Matus was also very pleased with the excitement that Five to Drive generated throughout the city.

“This promotion certainly captured the imagination of shoppers in Bathurst and across the region,” she said. It was nice to lift people’s spirits and reward them for shopping with us.”

HAPPY MAN: A very happy Christopher Martin after he won a brand new Honda Jazz in Bathurst City Centre’s Five to Drive promotion. He is pictured with centre manager Janelle Matus. Photo: PHILL MURRAY 102613pjazz3

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.